Thursday

The best day ever . . .

                                                     . . . was the day I was invited into a world of colors, shapes, letters and numbers; a world of innocence, curiosity, and wonder; a world of love and security all facilitated and fostered by devoted and passionate teachers. Kindergarten is a wonderful place. I envisioned it as an extension of the home, a warm transition from the protection of family to a comfortable classroom environment, a stepping stone into formal education, as well as an opportunity to plant a seed for a lifetime of learning. 

It was my dream that Kindergarten become an integral part of public education. I am thrilled to discover that Kindergarten is now virtually universal in all of America, both in public and private schools. More than 4 million children between the ages of 5 and 6 years attend Kindergarten. In fact, I understand it is very common for children to be enrolled in pre-Kindergarten, a year prior to formal Kindergarten. I discovered through a "Google" search (Oh, I do love the world wide web!), recent studies have concluded that students who attend Pre-Kindergarten, especially in communities identified as "at-risk", have a better chance of completing twelve years of formal education and continuing on in college, compared with students who do not attend. I would imagine this would create an opportunity for mothers who stay at home with their children, the ability to work outside the home during school hours.  In light of the economic climate in America at the moment, I am sure this is crucial for families who are struggling financially, although I remain a bit Victorian in my opinion that a women's first priority is that of the home. Women are after all, created to be the natural head of the household and moral guide for their family.

I'm sure to step on a few toes here, however I am pleased to see that the profession of teaching is dominated by females, as it should be. Gentlemen, you who have pursued a career in education are no less appreciated for your dedication to your chosen profession, still it seems a bit unnatural to me.   










1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine what a thrill it must be for you to see your ideas about education and kindergarten in particular come to life in such startling detail.

    ReplyDelete