Whew! I'm exhausted from my first excursion to a mammoth conglomerate of retail trade. Wanting to jump right into 21st century life, I decided a good place to start would be a multi-purpose destination. After several recommendations, it was determined that a mall experience would provide a fine overview of mainstream America.
I regret wearing my black, lace-up practical shoes. After a very long promenade past the multiplex cinemas, seemingly hundreds of fashion outlets for men, women and children, numerous meal and beverage opportunities in the form of "fast food", proper rest facilities and even a play area for young children to relieve themselves of their impatience at being constrained to a four-wheeled push buggy, to say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement. With so much sensory stimuli to absorb, it has taken me a few days to decompress and assess my experience.
I couldn't help but notice that many young people in the galleria carried with them peculiar devices which they plugged into their ears, meandering silently about. Others (young and and not so young) rudely and loudly spoke into small rectangular sized gadgets, disturbing everyone in their presence with their personal conversations. And then there were folks mesmerized by a colorful, digital display which spoke, spewing out more information than any person could possibly need to know. (Perhaps Chapter XII On Domestic Manners, would be beneficial to those who are oblivious to their ill-mannered behavior.)
Apparently during the past 133 years, a media explosion has ensued in America creating what appears to be information overload. Back in my day, media was primarily limited to lectures, newspapers, pamphlets, short story sketches and of course, bound periodicals and books. This technological revolution has resulted in a plethora of communication vehicles with the surreal ability to transmit information instantly, not only throughout our great nation, but around the entire globe. The available platforms utilized to share and gather information, personal views, experiences, opinions or ideas are virtually limitless and constant. Because of television, radio, telephone, computer, video devices, social networking, internet, media analysis, talking heads, political pundits, etc., there appears to be a sense of urgency to know or be known twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, 364 days a year. I believe it is termed "being plugged in".
While it is fascinating to view natural disasters occurring in regions half-way across the world, witness the brutalities of war and persecution happening in other nations, or follow moment by moment progress in the political or social arenas, I can't help but notice a certain sense that the onslaught of so much information has in some ways desensitized society's reaction to such events. The relentless amount of information being transmitted at break-neck speed leaves little time to actually reflect and think deeply about what is happening, why it may be happening or develop any type of meaningful opinion. The attention span of the public seems to be minute, capable of only taking in a headline rather than delving into a lengthy editorial containing in-depth information.
Of course, a favorable aspect to instant world-wide information is the sheer knowledge of events happening beyond our personal communities, the ability to assist others in need quickly and efficiently as well as the opportunity to organize and initiate reform in domestic or global regions where oppression or injustices are occurring. I suppose with all advancements, there are positive and negative considerations. The key is to strike a balance. Might I suggest just that: make time to "unplug" from the non-stop media frenzy. Slow down and reconnect with what has been naturally provided by our Maker. Grab a book, take it outdoors, sit under the shade of a tree, feel the breeze, and delve into literature that will prompt you to create your own thoughts, dreams and personal insights. (If you are lacking a title, I humbly suggest "A Treatise on Domestic Economy", available for download on your e-reader--free of charge!)
I appreciate your observations, Ms. Beecher, but I find myself mostly guffawing at the comment that you regret wearing your black, lace-up practical shoes. I don't mean to laugh at you, but the thought of you meandering around a mall is quite amusing to me.
ReplyDelete