Wednesday

First Family

I'm the first to admit that perhaps I should have reconsidered my position regarding abolition so many years ago. Although a strong proponent for the abolishment of slavery, I regrettably did not utilize fully the opportunity God presented me in working harder and more publicly for the movement. At the time, it was my personal opinion that women wielded real power in reform from their position and influence within their homes, while the public sphere of authority appropriately fell to men.

My sister, Harriet and I rejoiced that day in 1865 when the U. S. House of Representatives passed the 13th amendment to the Constitution abolishing slavery in America.  The words "neither slavery nor involuntary servitude . . . shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction" are forever pressed into our memories. Oh, how I wish my sister was with me now. It's true that the road to freedom for African Americans was not instantly transformed from a stormy journey to smooth sailing after the amendment passed, however I believe I speak for both of us in saying we never envisioned the day in America when an African American would be elected President of the United States. How grateful I am to have this opportunity to see for myself this unthinkable dream come true. Just three short years ago, America made history by electing its first black president, Barack Obama.

As it turned out, I was not entirely swimming upstream when I once wrote women "are agents in accomplishing the greatest work that was ever committed to human responsibility". Now in the 21st century, our great nation not only boasts its first black President, it also has a strong female role model living in the White House, demonstrating the epitome of what an educated woman and mother can achieve. I do struggle somewhat with Mrs. Obama's public role in politics, however her commitment to the traditional family unit is commendable.  From her powerful place of influence, she fiercely champions what is best for her daughters as well as all children in our country through her words as well as her deeds.  For instance, the First Lady is an active mother involved in her children's school and sporting events, often seen volunteering in various capacities. She has contributed to the popular trend of home gardening by planting a White House garden shortly after moving to Pennsylvania Avenue.  Not only does the garden provide fresh vegetables for the President and their family, but the bulk of the crops are donated to local Washington food banks and shelters. Mrs. Obama is also teaching her daughters about personal responsibility by charging them with cleaning their rooms, caring for Bo, the First Dog and learning to launder their own clothes.

Both the President and Mrs. Obama believe is it critical to the future of the country to raise healthy, fit, active, inquisitive, educated children and have initiated the national fitness campaign--"Let's Move". Mrs. Obama recently performed push-ups alongside Archbishop Desmond Tutu and kicked around a soccer ball with children in Cape Town, South Africa, evidence that she "walks the talk". (Little known fact: I was an advocate for the inclusion of physical education into pubic school curriculum.) Already several pieces of legislation have been signed into law with regard to healthy food choices and accessibility to physical activity locales in an effort to put the country's children on the right path toward future success and ultimately prosperity for America as well.
                            
I feel a sense of great pride in knowing a century and half later, the individual passions my sister and I held--abolition and domesticity have dramatically and historically been woven together. Good stuff.  




1 comment:

  1. Ms. Beecher, I did not know you were an advocate for physical education as part of the public school curriculum, but given your prescient stance, I am not surprised.

    ReplyDelete